Satellite Cold Storage Facility Cypress-Fairbanks ISD | Cypress, TX
The Satellite Cold Storage Facility for Cypress-Fairbanks ISD was designed to support the Food Service Department and stores food prepared from the District’s central production facility for future distribution to all campuses. Design highlights for this facility include:
- Raising the floor level approximately four feet above grade to support truck loading at eight loading dock bays.
- Concrete tilt-up wall panels surrounding insulated freezer and cooler boxes with 30’ tall ceilings and 24’ high pallet racking.
- At 35°F, the cooler box was centrally located to serve as a vestibule between the freezer boxes and loading dock. Two freezer boxes of approximately 7,000 sq ft and 3,100 sq ft each; one cooler box of approximately 4,000 sq ft.
- An automatically controlled, sub-slab ventilation system prevents the freezer box floor from icing.
- The use of destratification fans, combined with the freezer/cooler boxes being enclosed in a separate conditioned space prevent high humidity between the freezer/cooler and the building envelope.
- Charging stations for forklifts.
- Strategic location of the mechanical room-considering varying temperature requirements within the facility then determining the most cost-effective solution for reliability and energy efficiency.
+ Master planning was completed by IBI Group for this district.
“The planning and design phases for this facility required detailed analysis taking into consideration the intricacies of cold storage, prioritizing sanitary facility design, addressing important budget considerations and factoring in energy efficiency costs. We also developed the master plan for this facility, factoring in growth needs for the District.”—Mark French, Director | US Deputy Education Lead | Senior Principal